Monday, November 06, 2006

Want to Play Along?

1. Grab the nearest book.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.

5. Don’t dig for the “coolest” book in your closet! Fess up to the pulpy (and delicious) novel you have sitting on the coffee table!

From One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez

'He made an effort to get her to recognize him. And Rebecca did take a casual look toward the wall and was paralyzed with stupor, barely able to react and wave goodbye to Arcadio. Arcadio answered her the same way. At that instant the smoking mouths of the rifles were aimed at him and letter by letter he heard the encyclicals that Melquiades had chanted and he heard the lost steps of Santa Sofia de la Piedad, a virgin, in the classroom, and in his nose he felt the same icy hardness that had drawn his attention in the nostrils of the corpse of Remedios. "Oh, God damn it!" he managed to think.'


Thanks Kari!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I love this game. I've seen it on a couple of other blogs. Can i use my own novel???

If so, then here's mine:

Did I know I could have DIED? Did I know I was grounded for the rest of my life under their roof? Which, luckily, wasn’t much longer.
Dad finally got tired of yellin’ at me and went to bed, but my Ma…she wouldn’t let up.

EESH. It sounds so lame out of context.

Jenny said...

Doesn't sound lame at all. I can't wait to read it! :) Thanks for stopping by!