Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hope is a four letter word.

I have a favor to ask of you. Yes, i mean you. No matter who you are, please, i'm begging, just do one quick thing for me. Go check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Do it right now. Don't wait. If you need new batteries go get them right this second. Please don't put it off. Your life is worth it. Your family is worth it. It's always something, isn't it? This is a big something though. I have many acquaintances, certainly, and many casual friendships, but i am not a person who has a lot of truly close friends, as it takes a lot for me to trust enough to open up to people. Yes, i know, i keep a blog and spill my guts out here daily, but it's different when i'm face to face with people. Words just don't come out of my mouth in the same way. I can easily count on one hand the number of people i've considered truly close friends in my adult life. It now takes two fingers for me to count the number of those few close friends whose lives have been devastated by house fires.
Those are some scary odds.

No comments: