Thursday, October 26, 2006

stuff

Ok, so maybe I was just in a bad mood yesterday. I'm really not quite that negative about the entire world around me. That poem did touch me though, and it does sum up a lot of what I've felt lately about some things. The guy is a talented poet! :)

I'm planning a big hiking trip. I am registered to walk in the San Diego 3 day in about 3 weeks, and for the umpteenth time this year, I'm trying to swallow my defeat gracefully. I really have tried, but with everything else that's happened unexpectedly in my life in the last 6 months, I just haven't been able to make the required fundraising happen. This SUCKS. $2500 is a lot of money though! I'm at a piddly $185. I've talked to people, sent letters, flocked (yes, I did this, and it took over every single evening of my life for a month and a half with little result), tried a million different things, but let me tell ya, ALL the fundraising videos are WRONG. Everyone says "Oh, I can't believe how easy it was!! I just asked, and everyone gave me lots of money!!" Mmmhmm. CRAP. I sent out 60 letters to local businesses a month ago, and followed up with postcards a couple weeks later. I've gotten 2 replies, and they have both been to tell me they won't be donating. Whew, where'd this come from? I've totally gone off on a tangent, sorry. I din't mean to rant this morning. I understand completely that money sucks, and in all honesty I generally ignore donation requests when I get them in the mail too. I'm not mad, and I do blame myself for somehow not trying harder. It's just that defeat is a little bitter. I was really looking forward to the whole thing.

ANYWAY, what I was trying to say is that I'm taking the leave anyway and doing something for me with the time. I'm planning a big hiking trip. Yes, in November, I know. Unless something better comes up before then, I'm going to head to the Olympic Coast for 5 days. It's beautiful, rugged, and wild, and because it's on the coast the weather is moderate, and not tooo much colder in the winter than it is in the summer. I hiked ShiShi beach in early spring once and LOVED it, and I hiked to Toleak Point last summer and LOVED it, so I'm going back to wander. (No, those aren't my pictures of ShiShi- mine aren't on the computer, but those sum the place up nicely :) ) Mmmmmmmmm.... :)

No comments: